Sunday, July 19, 2015

Gladiolas Gone Wild

This week the garden is dominated by gladiolas. All of these descend from little package of 8 or 10 corms I bought in the grocery store a couple of years ago, which looked so dried out I didn't think they would even grow. But grow they have, and multiplied enormously.

The spot where I planted most at first has become a thicket of gladiolas, so many that they are crowding each other out.


This spring I moved a bunch to other parts of the garden, and most of those seem to be thriving, too.


I never loved these growing up. In the rural Midwest people plant them in their vegetable gardens in long rows, which I always thought looked strange. But I find them very pleasing scattered in among my other flowers,

And a bonus picture of summer lilies.

No comments: