Wednesday, November 5, 2014

On the Potomac

Yesterday was my 20th anniversary with my employers, the Louis Berger Group. Or that's what they call themselves now; there have been three or four  reorganizations and name changes during my time here. Since my top field guy just resigned, I am celebrating the event by going back to working as field supervisor, which I haven't done in about a decade. Stomping around in thick woods with a bunch of 25-year-olds. I'm working in a gorgeous place, on an arm of the Potomac River just south of Washington. While I wait for permission from the Park Service to blog about the archaeology, I will pass along some images of the scenery. Above, ducks started by the intrepid archaeologist rise from the marshes of Broad Creek.

A tiny frog comes to visit us at lunch.


Trees.

An egret on the marsh.

An osprey nest in the top of a beech tree.

Shelf fungus on a log.

Hawthorn tree. There has been much more -- woodpeckers, hawks, a great horned owl, a bald eagle, a flock of wild turkeys, herds of deer, and all around the sights and smells of the woods in fall.

1 comment:

Jolie said...

Thanks for transporting me to the woods in fall while I sit at my computer at work. My senses came alive!