Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Dickens Statue

Charles Dickens left pretty clear instructions about the matter in his will:
I conjure to my friends on no account to make me the subject of any monument, memorial or testimonial whatsoever. I rest my claims to the remembrance of my country upon my published works.
And yet the citizens of Portsmouth, where he was born, have now put up a statue to him.

Is it somehow wrong to put up a statue to a man who didn't want any, in the sense that really honoring him would mean doing what he asked? Or was he just engaging in a silly sort of reverse pride, so that the wishes of the majority should override his requests?

1 comment:

ArEn said...

He may have meant it; however, the City of Portsmouth cannot be considered one of his "friends". I think it's ok.